An extraordinary English piece from the early twentieth century originally used as a patented tool to clean and sharpen knives. Invented by George Kent, and made by Kent Manufacturing, London. This was Kent's most important piece and was first available around 1850. The piece consists of solid oak with brass accents and an embossed iron stand. Still in very good condition with a functioning turning iron handle and its original instructions label displayed on the right-hand side.
To use, originally, one would place a specific kind of black powder inside by removing the wooden knob on the right-hand side. This would be used to clean and sharpen the knives inserted around the top where the brass pieces are while rotating the iron handle. A fabulous decorative artifact for antique and historical collectors interested in bringing a touch of invention to their homes or to recreate a Victorian-era kitchen on a movie set. Recommended for decorative use. Tagged: 199 High Holborn, London. Note the ceramic plate and patented labeling as seen in photos.
Condition and wear consistent with age and use.
Approx. overall 19¾" high x 20¾" wide x 17" deep
Approx. overall 50cm high x 53cm wide x 43cm deep