This exquisite majolica asparagus platter dates from the late nineteenth-century. It has a dark pink border and green and purple asparagus spears. It is stamped Salins underneath. Note the chip on the side.
The Salins earthenware factory was founded in 1857 and was completely destroyed during the Franco-Prussion War (1870-71) as the war took place in Lorraine - the factory was located in Salins-les-Bains in Lorraine near the Swiss border.
Condition and wear consistent with age and use.
Approx. overall 3½" high x 8" wide x 14¼"
Approx. overall 9cm high x 20cm wide x 36cm